Sunday, September 27, 2026

What makes a book a "good book" in your reading system?

Every time I read reviews of a book I just read, I am left conflicted. I could read a book and think it was the best thing I’ve read yet, then I go on Goodreads and everyone and their English teacher are calling it a waste of good wood and regretting the day they learned the English language.

I start to wonder, are my standards that low? Are there details I somehow missed while I was reading? So I reassess, what actually appealed to me while reading, so much so that I find myself disagreeing even with the most sound criticism of the book.


When I rate a book after finishing it, the first thing I care about is if I enjoyed the book. Believe it or not, I read books for the plot, for the story and I care much more about the story being told rather than the how. Whether it’s in first person or third, I couldn’t care less, a good story will always have me as a diligent reader.

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love literary works that bewitch you with an exceptional style of writing and a vivacious vocabulary that even if the story is simple, at least I get to see grammar and punctuation used in ways I had never seen before.

However that is not to say I consider stories I did not enjoy bad, I am mature enough to realize the brilliance of a story even if it appalls me when I turn the last page. I have read books that left me morally conflicted, with characters so vile and endings most unfavorable because I found myself impressed and sometimes delightfully shocked that someone would even write something of this nature. (I have a list should anyone be interested.)

In the world we live in now, we are riddled with affiliations, beliefs and opinions on what we perceive as good, so much so that anything outside that, is not. Can other people’s opinions be trusted, when they stem from a biased psyche. This affects our ability to form an unbiased opinion on books with certain topics. That is not a slight, after all what is a person if not for their beliefs and convictions. The differences in our backgrounds and cultures, provide unique perspectives that are limitless in value.

It is imperative, however, to not automatically label a book bad just because it is against what you believe. It is not the same to having boundaries on what you will not read, but opening our minds to learn and enjoy themes that are different and expand our willingness to venture into unfamiliar varieties of writing.

It important to note that when reading, one must exercise their thinking ability and make use of their literacy. Make your own opinions and analysis before reading reviews and having an opinion formed for you before your brain has a chance to do for itself.

Your opinions are an extension of you, and it just goes to show that it’s not just you who reads when you flip those pages. In all the many deciding factors that mark a good book, I have all but landed on one. A good book must at the very least make you feel. Feel joy, anger, disgust, sadness or angst. If anything, let me be angry, shocked, disturbed even than be bored after reading a book.

I would love to know your thoughts.


Until the next book,

Paida

No comments:

Post a Comment

What makes a book a "good book" in your reading system?

Every time I read reviews of a book I just read, I am left conflicted. I could read a book and think it was the best thing I’ve read yet, th...