Wednesday, September 23, 2026

My September TBR

For my September TBR list, I decided to do it a little different. September is a very special month to me as it has the birthdays of most of my family and friends. 
So I asked each and one of them what they're favorite books were and decided that is what I would read in September.

The books are as follows:

1.  Leki - my best friend 

For as long as I have known her, she has always, always talked about how much she loved the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. I had never read PJO before, being a Potterhead throughout my childhood. Our friendship was founded on our love for books. We talk and discuss about the books we read, talk about the movies made from books we have read. So I thought let's add PJO to the mix. The first series has 5 books in total and 

2. Micky - best friend's twin/also my twin, in a way

For Micky our reading tastes align more times than not. Her favorite book/s are by R.F.Kuang, the author behind The Poppy War Trilogy. This also happens to be my favorite books. So we had to go with her second favorite which is he Vicious duology by V.E.Schwab. Vicious had been on TBR for a while and I was glad I now had a god reason to start reading it.



3. My Dad

My dad is not much of a reader, he is more practical and hands on. He is a wood machinist and his days are spent with him obsessing with his tools and organising his screws and making furniture for mother and fixing things around the house. His hobbies include things he can do with his hands. Like nursing a glass of liquor while watching the Premier League or actually making something like the oak stool I am currently sitting on as I write this. So for his book of choice, I had to think back a little to all the conversations that consisted of me trying to get him to read my books and him telling me that there's no need because he has already read the greatest piece of literature. That book being The House of Hunger by Dambudzo Marechera. He read this books as a school assignment and years later, it's the only book he talks about in such a high regard.

4. My dad's brother

My uncle's books of choice are simple classics that he remember doing while he was in school. He chose The Animal Farm by George Orwell and The Lion and the Jewel by Wole Soyinka.






5. My Grandmother

My grandmother, has always been religious woman. So it wasn't much of a surprise when her book of choice was from the bible. She recommended I read the book of Deuteronomy. She described it as a vital stepping stone in her journey of faith.



6. My cousin 

Her first selection was a self help/religious non-fiction called The Power of Your Dreams: A Guide to Hearing and Understanding How God Speaks While You Sleep by Stephanie Ike Okafor. Unfortunately I was unable to find a copy at my local library. Her second choice was an independently published work and that was even harder to find. So her third and final choice was Train to Edinburgh by Felix Hunter.




So in total my September TBR comes down to 12 books. I have had such an exciting month reading these books and discovering the reasons why they happen to be the favorites of my friends and family made it even more special.

I will do a monthly wrap up of what I thought of these books on my YouTube channel, make sure you don't miss it.
Thank you for reading!

Until the next book,

Paida





No comments:

Post a Comment

What makes a book a "good book" in your reading system?

Every time I read reviews of a book I just read, I am left conflicted. I could read a book and think it was the best thing I’ve read yet, th...